Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Survival is more than something for camp...

I am surviving youth camp yet again. Our youth seem to be having a great time. Today is the first full scheduled day. They have already danced through the AM show, lived through recreation time, learned during Bible Study and Quiet Time and are not living through their individual trek times. Tonight will be the first in-depth worship time and I am really looking forward to it. I am hoping that the light goes on in their souls.

Being surrounded by 1700 kids this week has reaffirmed a lot of what I have feared. The vast majority of this generation of church going youth and their youth counselors are all about the fluff. Before I say more let me affirm that the staff of Fuge (directed by David Neece) is not about the fluff but they can only carry it so far until it lands at the feet of the day in and day out Youth leaders. You can hear it in there fervent pleas to be holy leaders and examples of truth and that in every recreation game there is purpose…to reinforce the truth. I just don’t think it is sticking. I am a people watcher and with so many of my favorite spots taken this week with so many kids I have had to sit in the open to ponder and as I have sat they (the youth) walk by and I listen and watch and see so much I would rather not. Holiness and truth are the last things I have been seeing. I am sure that within the 1700 there are those who really did come this week to grow in faith, knowledge and intimacy with their Lord, but they seem to be few.

It begs the question what are we doing wrong? What is the church doing about discipling our young people, the futures leaders? Does the buck stop with the church or with the home? What are Christian parents doing to disciple their children in the ways of the Lord? I think way too often that the parents are hoping that the church is doing it and that what they get from the church will be enough. IT IS NOT!

I don’t know what the answer is but we need to find it and find it fast. The world they are living in is anti-Christ, anti-home, anti-family, anti-morals, anti-character, anti-responsibility, anti-work, anti-absolute truth, anti-faith, anti-purity, anti-marriage, anti-holiness, anti-authority, anti-anyone but yourself, anti-self-restraint, anti-self control, anti…. They are continuously being indoctrinated by the world they live in and they will become all the things I listed above unless they intentionally choose not to. How can we get them to see and know Truth (Jesus) that they will be Daniels in their Babylon?

6 comments:

kbc said...

What you wrote is so true . How do we teach them the right way and know that they get it? how do we make sure that we influence them more than the world? My prayer this week is that Hannah will empty herself of her and allow God to fill her with him. and that she will openly embrace what he has instore for her this week. Thanks so much for taking time out of your busy schedule so that our youth could experience this. Love and miss you.
kelly

C.C. and Double T said...

This is one of the things that scares me about parenting. I think they need to see it in "you" first. Whoever "you" is. And, I don't think there are many "you"s out there who are real enough to show it to them.

Sad.

Pamela Estes said...

kbc...In my QT today when I was asking the exact same question that God answered with 1)know how to use their sheild and sword (faith and Bible) and skill in warfare. This has to begin in the home and then reinforced in the church.

Pamela Estes said...

CC...I agree whole heartedly. I know that this will be seen in you by your children.

Brandy said...

I agree this is scary. I want my kids to see there mom and dad asking, wanting, desiring,needing and filling ourselves with the things of God. I want them to get, and live it so much sooner than I did. I do realize the way is for me living it in front of them. I want to thank God for showing me this through you and thank you for teaching and being obedient. Love ya Brandy

Pamela Estes said...

Brandy...You would be proud of Quinten...I know he is experiencing a whole new world this week but I know his heart is to serve the Lord...We will both pray hard for him and trust Lord is leading him to serve Him. Love ya too!