Wednesday, January 07, 2009

What Am I Seeing?

What am I seeing and does it make a difference?

Where are my eyes focused literally during my day?

Matthew 6:20-24 (NKJV)
but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. [21] For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
[22] "The lamp of the body is the eye. If therefore your eye is good, your whole body will be full of light. [23] But if your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in you is darkness, how great is that darkness!
[24] "No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon.

Are my eyes seeing more things of God (Light) or are they seeing more the things of the world (darkness)? God is asking me to take a truthful inventory of what I am setting before my eyes. He is telling me in this passage that what I see will make a difference in my life. He is also stating that if I am indwelt with Christ the Light of the world and still choose the world over Him how great the darkness will be in my life. I have the power to overcome temptation, selfishness, laziness.... Will my life be full of light (God) or full of darkness (the world.) What I set before me is that which I serve, that which I treasure. What do I truly treasure? Lip service does not count.

What do I want to treasure and who do I want to serve? I truly want to serve my God in love, faith, trust and full immediate obedience. I want to treasure Him, His presence and His Word.

God also took me to the Abrahamic Covenant today where the sign for the covenant was circumcision. Abraham had to do this before Sarai would bear a child. Sometimes before we can bear much fruit we have to cut some things out. He needs the room and our attention to work.

What needs to go and what is He wanting to set before my eyes?

I know He wants the Word before my eyes and I also know He has challenged me to read more this year. I want to read books that are written by men and women who set God before themselves and therefore bore much fruit. I want to bear much fruit to His glory.

My first passage to memorize for the year:

Proverbs 2:1-5 (NKJV)
My son, [ Pam ] if you receive my words,
And treasure my commands within you,
[2] So that you incline your ear to wisdom,
And apply your heart to understanding;
[3] Yes, if you cry out for discernment,
And lift up your voice for understanding,
[4] If you seek her as silver,
And search for her as for hidden treasures;
[5] Then you will understand the fear of the Lord,
And find the knowledge of God.

No comments: