Saturday, January 03, 2009

A New Year?

I have never really gotten the holiday of New Years. I am not a party girl, don't drink and although I stay up late most nights I just don't get it. Am I the only one? We really don't have any family traditions for New Years Eve or New Years Day. Growing up we were suppose to have Black-eyed Peas on New Years Day for luck. I didn't and still don't like them so that tradition died with my parents. I also remember us all staying up and watching Dick Clark rock in the New Year (boring) and then we would count down as the ball dropped or went up; I can't remember. Then we would go outside yelling and screaming, and honking the horns and sometimes....Dad would shoot off his shotgun. Of course he stopped that when it became illegal. Then we all went in and went to bed. I am still not getting into it. Oh, yes I do recall that we (Jon, the boys and I) do have one tradition for New Years Eve. We always buy a couple of those Sparking Grape Juices and get out our fancy glasses and drink that. The boys always thought that was kinda neat. Jon and I did that again this year. Unlike the peas I really like this juice.

Reflect. What I do at this time of year that is meaningful to me and probably to many others is reflect. I look back at the last year and examine my life. I really want to know and establish that I have grown in someway. This year I did the same. I am very pleased to announce that I have grown in many areas. I was deeply encouraged by that.
Remember. Not only do I reflect over the past growth but I also remember. I remember all God's blessings. Recounting all God has done in my life and my family's causes me great joy of which I return to God in praise and thanksgiving. It also reminds me that my God is with me always and He remains faithful.
Resolution. Then of course I am drawn to my desire to make changes where changes are needed. Although I have grown this year I want to continue to grow. There is much need to grow more. I don't know who said it first but I fully agree with the statement: "If you do the same thing the same way you will get the same results." I know God wants me to continue to climb up that mountain that stands before me.

That is where I have been the last few days; what changes do I make? What goals are of God? Will accountability help? Some things on the top of my head...Still praying through

1. Read a book a month (especially the classics..EM Bounds, Foster, Spurgeon) Of course that is after I read the Shack so I can get it back to Betty Green
2. Memorize 2 verses a month
3. Less TV (give me more time to read)
4. Exercise
5. Write the Children's Devotional
6. Blog (UGH! I don't get why God and Jon keep after me to do this, Another thing I don't get)
7. Grandchildren (do something creative to be in their lives...it's so hard living apart from them).
8. Nails (yes, I would really like fake nails but can't afford them so I want to really work at making them look the best I can.) Is this silly?

Maybe, this is way too much. Maybe I am missing something. Maybe I am right where God wants me. I am praying and asking. I know this; I can't stay where I am and go with God. I want to experience all God has for me and not be slow about it.

6 comments:

C.C. and Double T said...

Nails... silly? No! :-) Although, I don't get mine done very often. I'm a slacker.

Please tell me your opinion of "The Shack" when you finish with it. I came across some recommendations for it on the internet, but then when I went on Lifeway's site to maybe order it, there were some very controversial reviews. Just wondering your thoughts.

Pamela Estes said...

I have never had a manicure...so I don't really know what to do to them! I guess you will keep me accountable for my reading goals. I hope to start and finish "The Shak" this week.

JPBC said...

oh yes honey nails are great!!! I'll help ya! And I never have gotten in to New Years either. This year more than ever I reflected. I too, have grown but still have areas that need improvement. One thing is for sure though....God remained ever faithful, ever true, ever loving!

JPBC said...

Um....Pam it's Deana that left the comment. I was on Allen's blog. I bet you were thinking "Allen does nails???"

Pamela Estes said...

Deana, I am so glad you cleared that up. I was having me a time with that. LOL

Anonymous said...

I have also been praying for God to show me what direction he wants me to go this year. So far all I hear is drowned yourself in my word . So that is what I am doing. It is funny that you said memorize 2scriptures a month. I had thought about the whole family memorizing a verse a week. What do you think is that to much to start with. I see that you have already accompllished one of your goals. Yeah for you!!!!!!!!!!!! Let me know how the exercise goes I need a few pointers for how to stick to it. And if you have any good suggestions on books for me to read this year let me know.
Love ya,
KC