Tuesday, August 24, 2010

What Kind of Fighter Are You?

The other day as I was talking to God, He gave me a visual. There was a boxing ring and from the ceiling hung one of those old fashioned microphones and God was the announcer. He called out, "In this corner is the World, Satan and the flesh." Everyone in the stands, including me was booing loudly. Then God continued, "In this corner is…." There was complete silence. Then the focus zoomed right on me into the midst of the crowds yelling, "You can win. Victory is yours for the taking. Fight the good fight." Then all of a sudden I noticed that I was the only one cheering. Except for my voice it was completely silent and all eyes were on me. I looked around completely confused. I looked to God to see that He too was looking straight at me. He then said, "I'm waiting. We are all waiting. You can't have victory unless you enter the ring to fight. Just shouting the cheers, showing you acknowledge the fight isn't enough. You must get into the ring. You can't be a spectator shouting out the truth of the fight. You must get into the ring." Now what do I… you… do with it?

I know that I need… no must get into the ring and fight. That started me thinking about our different responses to fighting. What kind of fighter are we? I came up with just a few; in no way is it exhaustive but enough I think to get us to ponder.

As you ponder these types consider them in context of fighting the good fight of faith. We must fight against Satan his lies, deceptions and schemes. We must fight against the world its influences, ungodly world-views and its temptations. Also we must fight against our own flesh, its willful and selfish agendas, ungodly wants and desires, future fears and past wrongs that steal our focus and energy.

1. The Dodgers. They don't get anything resolved. Their attitude toward fighting is not getting involved by avoiding it. They don't develop a strong faith nor experience peace or God's power in their lives. There is no victory, no overcoming, no abundant living, and no liberty. Most of all they don't get to experience intimacy with a personal God.
2. The Deceptive . Their attitude is, it's my way, because I want my way. They tend to pretend they are really fighting but in reality they are justifying their actions and therefore the fight is null and void. They do what is right in their own eyes and still expect God's blessing. Their thinking is that since they show up in the ring they are fighting. But once in the ring all they are all show and trash talk no real action. Again they ever experience true victory or intimacy with God
3. The Deserter. They may enter the ring for a moment but as soon as it gets a bit rough they high tail it out. They never see victory because they don't stay in long enough to see it. They often are wondering why others seem to be experiencing more of God and His blessings than they are.
4. The Dealmaker. This is the one who is always trying to bargain with God. I will do it if... I will do it when… Because God does not make bargains they never get in the ring and therefore never really see the enemy because they are so focused on themselves. Therefore they never overcome themselves; their own worst enemy. Victory and intimacy are never theirs.
5. Determined . This fighter is committed to finishing the fight no matter what. He knows that finishing is victory. He knows cuts and bruises are a part of fighting. Going the distance will prove to be filled with personal rewards not to mention intimacy with God throughout the fight. True freedom and abundant living is found in the daily consistent fighting the good fight.

I want to be determined to fight everyday that I may live in victory and to know what it is to be an overcomer.

No comments: