Monday, June 22, 2009

Convention News

I know, I know it has been forever since I have blogged. Life in ministry is a wild hair blowing ride. I will share more about that another time but today I want to concentrate on what is going on right now....the 2009 Southern Baptist Convention and Pastor's Conference.

Let's start with the surroundings. Louisville, KY; ok but nothing really draws me here. I like old but this city seems more tired than just old. On the other hand our hotel (The Gault) is fantastic. The room is superb and we have a wonderful and large bay window that looks out onto the Ohio River. It is great to watch the sun go down over the river. Being up on the 23 floor makes the views that much more grand. Thank you Lord.

The ride to and fro the Expo is in a nice air conditioned bus; much better than the hot trolley's of New Orleans!

During the Morning session of the Pastor's Conference they have included recently a Pastor's Wives session. I really wanted to attend this year since the key note speaker is a at-a-distance mentor of mine, Mary Kassian. The theme this year was: Women of Truth. The posters included the line: We are: called, blessed, privileged But sometimes: tired, stressed, judged and our sheep can bite! I have the scars to prove it.

Mary Kassian gave us 10 Life Commitments to being Women of Truth gleaned from Titus 2:1-5.
#1. Radical Devotion: Life is all about Jesus and we are head over heels in love
#2. Sound Doctrine: Study, have convictions, stand strong and not easily swayed
#3. Family Plan: Husband and Children lover; lover of God's Family Plan
#4. Intentional Living: Self-controled; disciplined life
#5. Godly Character: Pure and holy
#6. Womanly Priorities" Busy at home, home creator
#7. Womanly Purpose: Kind, helper
#8. Womanly Disposition: Gentle, Quiet & Submissive
#9. Spiritual Mothering: Train others
#10. Display the Beauty of the Gospel: That the Word of God not be blasphememd

So how committed are you? Finding yourself weak in some ares. I wish we could just sit with a tall glass of sweet tea and discuss these.

Have to go catch the shuttle for this afternoons session...Fred Luter Jr. and Mike Huckabee...

2 comments:

C.C. and Double T said...

Welcome back.

Caught a few speakers today online while I worked - - - heard Huckabee after I got out of some training.

Miss you ~

Brandy said...

I am so excited that yall are bloging. I really hate I couldn't go. It is so great to get to read about it and I will have a tall glass of Dr pepper while you tell me all about it. I miss you,but I am glad you are having a good time. love ya