Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Lessons from Gardening

What I know about gardening I have taught myself mainly through trial and error or my friend Google. I do enjoy getting outside and getting my hands dirty.
Yesterday I was out dividing some monkey grass to line the front beds. I wanted to be sure and get monkey grass that would not be missed. As I was walking around I noticed some that was on the edge of the grass. I know that God was the one pointing it out to me because it was so mixed in with the grass that it was hard to differentiate from the grass. I guess it never had a chance to develop and become what it was created to be because it kept being mowed over; cut down. The grass had been planted so close to the edge of the grass without any barrier it had become assimilated with the grass and no one could tell the difference. They were small but I dug them up and replanted them along our front sidewalk where next year they will be visibly different from the grass and outline our front beds. They will thrive and grow tall; planted in the right place.
I have been a Christian now for over 30 years and have noticed differences within the church. Those that “plant” themselves too close to the world do not thrive nor do they become what they were created to be. They look, talk and act just like the world. Because they were never meant to live like the world they are continuously being cut down and not able to grow. Those that plant themselves apart from the influences of the world will stand out; they will clearly be seen as different from the standard grass. They will add to the world at large the beauty it desires and needs. They will define the borders by pursuing righteousness and holiness and not self-pleasure or personal rights. Where are you planting yourself? Are you satisfied with your Christian life? Do you stand out or are you assimilated into your surroundings?
I recently was challenged by this thought: How does one become spiritually relevant without becoming culturally irrelevant in the society we live in today? The Word and prayer have made the biggest differences in my life. The Word plants my thoughts, words and actions in Him and not in the world around me. Prayer keeps me growing or should I say going? What about you? Our Creator has given us all we need to live the vibrant and abundant life for Him but it cannot be done without Him. Just like my physical garden does not just happen without pain, planning and planting neither does the Christian life.

1 comment:

Brandy said...

I am so glad that you are blogging again. It amazes me how you learn these great lessons from a plant. I have to start doing plant stuff ha ha. No serriosly I know that this is another way that God is teaching me. He is so awsome. I so want to stand out and not be like the world. I want to stand up and make a diff. for Christ who made such a huge diff. in my life. I want to go through the pain and planing and planting to grow closer to Him in my relationship. We have to work at it and chose to. Sorry about the miss spelled words I dont know if this thing has spell check, and if it does I dont know how to find it. Love ya Brandy