Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Hiking for glory...

My shoes are on and I am ready for the hike. Remember we’re pondering the phrase; Bloom Where You Are Planted. With a phrase that isn’t in the Bible but comes from the secular world I want to first answer a primary question we would all do well to ask more often. Is it Biblical? Then I will break the phrase apart and ask the basic questions such as, who, what, when, where and my two favorite questions how and why? We’ll start with breaking the phrase apart. Today let’s look at the idea of blooming. Is it Biblical? Who is to bloom? If it is Biblical to bloom then what are we to bloom?

Bloom is a verb in the phrase and it means to: 1.) to produce or yield blossoms; to flower; 2.) to be in a state of healthful, growing youth & vigor; 3.) to glow with color; health. With this definition in mind let’s answer the three questions for today. I can hardly contain myself from steaming right ahead, yet I am stopped by a whisper. God is whispering to me, “Let them!” He wants me to challenge you to do your own hiking. God is gently saying to me again, “Let them dig for treasure and share what I want to show each of them. Let them get on this forum and declare how awesome I am to personally teach them. Let them know Pam that it isn’t just you I can share great truth with. Challenge them Pam to open the Living Word.”

I am reminded of an encounter I had with my God several years ago. All at my request He gave rain, lightning and thunder. I thanked Him for being the giver of rain. I praised Him for His majestic hand that throws the lightning across the sky. I honored and recognized Him as the One that gives the roar to the thunder. He spoke to me afterward through a song, “He craves for at least His own to be mindful of Him, to thank Him for all things, and to recognize His power.” Nothing is random with our Lord. He is God and should be praised and thanked so much more than we do. I can’t help but think that He is personally giving each of us an opportunity to brag on Him. Will you join me? Hike with Him and then brag on all He points out to you and then declare it to others! Glory, He is so much more!

So here is your challenge: find the Scriptures that support the idea of blooming and why God would want us to.

Let me give you a hint think of blooming as bearing fruit, a state of growing --- what would the opposite be? What about glowing? Can I just share with you one verse? Phil. 2:15 “…so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation in which you shine like stars in the universe…” God wants all of His children to shine like stars in a crooked and depraved generation. Why?

Hiking can be laborious yet along the way you can experience a wealth of beauty and curiosities. If we keep trekking we’ll reach the summit and see, nope I must stop right here and ask you to close your eyes and tell me what you will see at the summit; breathtaking isn’t it? I know some of you are going to get on a roll and not want to stop, God says, “Go ahead.” Believe me that was the opposite of what I wanted to say, nevertheless I will be back soon to look at the rest of the phrase and answer more of the questions. Until then I am waiting expectantly to have some comments bragging or our glorious LORD.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pamela, I recently received a postcard from God. Dennis said we have to lift each other up...then God showed me this picture. I saw a vivid picture of a person putting their hands together, low enough for the other person to step into them. Then, the person was lifted up to reach the top of the mountain. I realized we are all here to lift each other in the same way, not physically, but through prayer. I just love how God speaks to me now...thank you for your guidance and teaching me to grow in God.

C.C. and Double T said...

Pamela,

Our God is amazing, isn't He! He absolutely is not random. In fact, He is just the opposite. He is order in the midst of our chaos... PEACE in the midst of our storms. He knows the number of hairs on our heads and "He knows the plans He has for us." Why do we ever question His goodness or His love for us? Why do we question if He really spoke to us? His character and order help us, His sheep, to KNOW our Shepherd's voice.

After reading this last post you wrote, I am AMAZED and OVERWHELMED by God's love and by the things He spoke to me about being "planted" in Him and producing "fruit". I'm sure I could say lots of things, but I think I'll let His Word speak for itself...

May 26...
John 15:1-17 (NLT)

1 "I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. 2 He cuts off every branch that doesn't produce fruit, and he prunes the branches that do bear fruit so they will produce even more. 3 You have already been pruned for greater fruitfulness by the message I have given you. 4 Remain in me, and I will remain in you. For a branch cannot produce fruit if it is severed from the vine, and you cannot be fruitful apart from me. 5 "Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing. 6 Anyone who parts from me is thrown away like a useless branch and withers. Such branches are gathered into a pile to be burned. 7 But if you stay joined to me and my words remain in you, you may ask any request you like, and it will be granted! 8 My true disciples produce much fruit. This brings great glory to my Father.

9 "I have loved you even as the Father has loved me. Remain in my love. 10 When you obey me, you remain in my love, just as I obey my Father and remain in his love. 11 I have told you this so that you will be filled with my joy. Yes, your joy will overflow! 12 I command you to love each other in the same way that I love you. 13 And here is how to measure it – the greatest love is shown when people lay down their lives for their friends. 14 You are my friends if you obey me. 15 I no longer call you servants, because a master doesn't confide in his servants. Now you are my friends, since I have told you everything the Father told me. 16 You didn't choose me. I chose you. I appointed you to go and produce fruit that will last, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask for, using my name. 17 I command you to love each other.


**************

OK, now the honesty... I am most often not successful at being "planted" in Him or at "producing fruit". In fact, when I am not in the physical location on my choice... when my circumstances are less than what I want them to be, my tendency is to neglect the spiritual nourishment I need. The result? I become parched and withered. The answer? The Bread of Life, the Living Water, the very WORD of God, Jesus Christ! His desire for me is to obey Him, to remain in Him, and to produce much fruit. He tells me these things so that I will be filled with joy overflowing!

One last thing that confirmed God's Word to me on this subject... the other Sunday evening, our pastor ended his sermon with an encouragement to "Blossom where you are planted." It is important to know that this is not a typical statement from our pastor, and those were his exact words. How special God makes me feel when He, the creator of everything, takes the time to speak to my heart, to display His love for me, and to remind me of the purpose and plan He has for my life. I may not know all the details, but I know that He does and will reveal them to me in His perfect time.

How AMAZING is our God!

Overflowing with Joy,
Erin

C.C. and Double T said...

“I am like a tree firmly planted by the streams of water, ready to bring forth its fruit in its season; its leaf also shall not fade or wither; and everything I do shall prosper and come to maturity.” Ps. 1:3

Anonymous said...

Matthew 5:16 says, " Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in Heaven". I didn't 'get it' till today. I had read your blog 2 or 3 times and still didn't get it. Apparently, today was the day and God opened my eyes to see. As you know, we're military and move around often. I've never had much trouble acclimating to each new place we lived until this last time. None of us enjoy living here, and I know I should be happy because this is where God 'planted' us, but I've really been struggling (especially since you left) =). Tonight I had a long talk with Jan and God chose that conversation to show me several different things; one of which was that He put me here where I'm at and it's not an accident. Maybe I don't understand His reasons at this time, but I know He has plans for me here and I am to follow His will and 'shine my light' and 'bloom where I am planted'!
Lisa