Thursday, September 25, 2008

Prayer and Fasting

I have spent the last three days fasting and praying. The Lord led both Jon and I to do a complete fast of all foods and also led me to fast from all TV. Yet today I am so full and satisfied. He is enough! I opened wide my mouth and He filled it. You see I have tried to fast before but for different reasons one of which was to loose weight. When this was my purpose I could't get food off my mind and didn't find success. This time I was first led by my Pastor (spiritual authority) and then the Holy Spirit. I obeyed and found success because my heart was on Him and not the fast itself. It isn't in the giving up of food or other distractions it is in the purposefully and intentionally putting our whole attention with great intensity, fervency and urgency on the Lord's will. These last three days have been so very full....of Him.
The prayer gathering of the saints was refreshing and just plain powerful. The Lord promised his presence and ear when we gather together in His name. We invited Him to come and stand in our midst and He did. Glory! I think about all He sacrificed for me and how often I am unwilling to sacrifice for Him. This week I sacrificed food, TV, time, planned events, meal time, house chores (ok maybe not a real sacrifice). As I layed each on the altar I left empty handed but my spirit was richly blessed and completely satisfied.

Why are we so afraid to sacrifice on the altar? Why are we too busy with our own life and so often unwilling to forgo our life for seeking Him?

"But seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you." Matthew 6:33

My prayer is that we will remain mindful of the things of God and not the things of man.

No comments: