Monday, February 06, 2006

Respond to God's Love with Love

Could you imagine going down to the SPCA and rescuing a dog from immenant death to take him home and become your companion only to have the dog ignore you? The dog wants nothing to do with you. Everytime you want to pet him, play with and pour out you love on him he runs and hides from you. When you come in from work he hides. When he thinks you are not looking he finds his toys and wags his tail incessantly. The only time he wags his tail when you are around is when you fill his food and water bowl. Even then there are times he growls if you don't give as much as he wants. You find yourself asking, "why wouldn't he want my love, after all I saved him from sure death? Why wouldn't he want my petting, grooming and affection? I saved him so that he would be my companion, yet all he wants is what I can give him. He doesn't want me at all. After awhile, with this continued treatment what would you consider doing? For how long would you try to woo him into companionship with you?

I wonder if that is how God feels as well. He saved us from imminent death. He took us home to dwell with Him as on of His own children. He desire was for us to be His companion. He wants to pour out His love on us, to groom us to be the best we can be. He provides eternal security and all our needs. Yet, how many of us hide from Him instead of seeking Him out to pour out or love on Him? What we do is run to Him only when we are in trouble or we need something, then as soon as we get it we quickly run away again to hide. And if we don't get what we are after we accuse Him of not loving us or being unfair.

6 comments:

Jon L. Estes said...

Well, I'll be. Great to see you up and blogging.

Keep at it and let God bless others through you.

Anonymous said...

Great analogy! Something I need to be reminded of often... My relationship with Him needs to be based so much less on me and focused so much more on Him. Keep blogging, and we will enjoy reading and learning! Miss you Lots!

Stay in touch...
Erin

Anonymous said...

The analogy of the dog and the master that loved him so much that he resqued him was a wonderful reminder of a passage that I heard so many times growing up in the church. "And now remain these three, hope, faith and love, but the greatest of all is love."

This past Wednesday, God had a lesson to teach me about His love for me. What kind of love God has for me!

Because of His love for me, He gave His only begotten Son, that I should not leave in darkness anymore but have the light and and be in the light for eternity.

Because of His love, I have hope for today and hope for tomorrow, knowing that in Him and through Him everything is possible.

And because of His "Amazing Love" I can have faith that can move mountains, not a blind faith but a faith that comes from a love experienced from my daily walk with Him.
I will close wi the words of a great song:

Amazing Love (My Lord, What Love Is This)
Words and Music by Graham Kendrick

Performed by:
MusicNote
Song Lyrics

My Lord, what love is this
That pays so dearly
That I, the guilty one
May go free!

Amazing love, O what sacrifice
The Son of God given for me
My debt He pays, and my death He dies
That I might live, that I might live
That I might live!

And so they watched Him die
Despised, rejected
But oh, the blood He shed
Flowed for me!

And now, this love of Christ
Shall flow like rivers
Come wash your guilt away
Live again!

By His Mercies and Love

Pamela Estes said...

Erin,
I miss you so very much. I'm so encouraged to hear how God is amazing in your's and Daniels life. I'm sure you can guess this blog thing is Jon stretching me! I never even knew this existed. But God has challenged me too, so pray that I will do better at keeping at it. I love you, my sister!

Pamela Estes said...

Daniel,
I love the words to this song! I hope to hear you sing it for me some day. I love the part that states...I might live, that I might live...
I have been thinking alot about being crucified with Christ but it is so only so that we can LIVE THE RESURRECTED LIFE. Now that can't be dull or boring! Amen! Love you brother.

Anonymous said...

Pamela,

I miss you so very much too. I keep the little red treasure chest from our retreat on my desk and sometimes, when work is very stressful, I see it and it reminds me of the treasure I have in you and the other ladies who God has allowed to pass through my life. God is definitely working, but it is me that too often falls short. I know that God is all I need, but so many times I wish I had my mentors close by to "stretch" me and encourage me a little. By the way, welcome to the club of being stretched by Jon! I check your's and Jon's blogs often.

It seems like God speaks to me in themes. He says something to me and then affirms it over and over again until I sort of get it. This song below really spoke to me in convocation the other month. The girl who sings it graduated from Liberty and recently made a cd. I know I should be completely satisfied with Him, but I struggle... I think Paul describes the conflict best... "I decide to do good, but I don't really do it; I decide not to do bad, but then I do it anyway." (The Message)

Well, let me know where you guys are and how you are doing. Maybe we can see each other soon (a relative term when compared to the last three years)!

Love you too...
Erin

"Satisfied"
Complete in Your presence
Secure in Your love
You make me who I am
Because of who You are
Wanting for nothing
Lost in Your eyes
Contented just to be forever by Your side

Satisfied, mesmerized
That’s how it is when I’m with You
Satisfied, completely mesmerized
That’s how it is when I’m with You

How could I ever ask for more
Than what you give me, Lord
I find it all in You