Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Treating The Sacred As Common

I was awakened early one day last week with a question that I know was from God. I have been struggling not with the answer but with the truth. Is Satan attempting to turn the sacred into nothing more than common? I knew the answer was, yes with no hesitation and no doubts. But why was God asking? I know this was God because I awoke very alert, I confess that is not normal for me. Also I don't usually awake with this kind of question in my mind. So again I ask, Why are you asking? As Jesus did so often in the Gospels He answered with a question, What is he making common and how is he doing it? That took some thought. What is he making common?

His name
His word (Holy Bible)
Our bodies
Marriage
Family (roles)
Sex
Work
Church (place, time of worship, body of Christ)
Worship (Rote ritual to entertainment)
The Cross
Country (America. one nation under God)
Us???????
Ministries
Pastors
Spirit of God

The list above is not exhaustive. We could probably have some good discussions on the many ways Satan is making them common and would love to hear your thoughts. The knowledge of the fact that it is God's own people who are allowing the sacred turn into that which is common is what troubled me. With each of the above listed I was called by God to ask myself, Am I treating ________ as sacred or common? And, is the Church treating ___________as sacred or common?

Let me finish with a verse that God pointed out to me in my QT the day of this experience with God.

Romans 10:3 (NKJV)
For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and seeking to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted to the righteousness of God.

I will discuss the significance of this verse tomorrow. Till then praying that I treat Him and His interests with the respect they deserve and not carelessly.

No comments: